Sunday, June 10, 2007

Now What?

I'm not very comfortable about writing down what is running around in my head today and having people actually read it. So I will write and then I will decide later if I will really publish this blog.

Watching Thomas walk around in his "boot" made me think back to the days I had to wear one for a while. I also began to think about where I was two years ago before the whole foot thing happened.

Two years ago I weighed 50 pounds less than I do today. I was eating healthier, doing cardio for 60 minutes (30 min. on the StairMaster, 20 minutes on the bike, and 10 minutes on the treadmill), 5 times a week and I was also lifting weights 3 times a week. I was pretty faithful for over a year. Then came the day when I decided to push myself a little more. I didn't have any extra time so I decided to increase my difficulty level. I went up a level on all three cardio machines on the same day. It felt great until just a few minutes after I left the gym. My foot hurt so bad I could hardly walk.

I had foot pain in the past but as I had lost weight and got in shape the pain gradually was gone, completely . . . until that day 2 summers ago. I went through months of having my foot taped by the doctor, getting shots of cortisone in my foot, ultrasound, wearing a brace while I slept, and finally ending up having surgery. I had crutches for a short while and then a walking boot similar to Thomas' boot for quite a while. But no exercise during all of this.

I have not had any foot pain for quite some time now. Yea!

So how do I get back to where I was two years ago. It seems like such a long road from here. I know that I was much healthier then, but more than that was how it kept me sane. That's what I need at this point in my life. I remember having more energy, being in more control, and being able to handle the everyday stresses easier. I truly believe exercise makes people feel better and handle life better. I want that.

Now what?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Penny,
we really have a lot in common, I have always loved to pump iron and go to the nearest high school to run around the track, i've always had exersize equipment, the only problem is that i have to work so much over time, that it's hard to
plan my next workout.
To answer your question "now what"
just do a little at a time, when you have time. (your always so busy). or just eat more peanut butter.
Take care, your brother.....Lyle