Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Focaccia and Dipping Oil

One of my new Visiting Teachers just dropped by with a fresh baked loaf of Focaccia bread. Yum. It is kind of mild with a hint of hot and spicy. I took a picture of it before I sliced into it because it was packaged so cute. I bet it will be yummy with dipping oil. Here is a favorite recipe.

Dipping Oil

1 t. crushed red pepper
1 t. freshly ground black pepper
1 t. dried oregano
1 t. dried rosemary
1 t. dried basil
1 t. parsley flakes
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. minced garlic, or several minced cloves
1 t. coarse kosher salt
extra-virgin olive oil*

Any herb above can be used fresh. Use 1/4 t. instead. In a low-sided bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Pour enough olive oil over to cover by about 1/4 inch. Stir well. Enjoy.

The first time I made this I forgot to add the salt. It was still very yummy. When I added the salt I thought it was a little too salty. If the kids are eating it I cut back on the pepper. Other than that I think the ratios are perfect. We also use light olive oil, but it's a matter of preference.

No comments: