Thursday, June 19, 2008

Speaking of Recipes . . .

Tried another recipe earlier in the week. It sounded so simple I wasn't sure how it would turn out. The whole family loved it. Everyone had two bowlfuls except Niko who had three.

I have no idea why this is called Mulligan Soup because it isn't like any Mulligan Stew I've heard of . . . maybe it's because it's so quick, cheap, and easy to throw into a pot like the original Mulligan Stew . . .

Mulligan Soup

8 oz elbow macaroni
1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 can (46 oz.) V-8 juice
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 Tablespoon salt, or to taste

Cook the macaroni in lightly salted water. Cook the ground beef and chopped onion together, drain. Place all ingredients together in a large pot and simmer for 10 minutes.

I was amazed at how yummy this was even though the only seasoning was chili powder, sugar, and salt. I also thought it would be a little spicy with that much chili powder, but it wasn't.

Both this recipe and the Waldorf Pasta Salad we doubled for our family. I looked at this huge pot of Mulligan Soup thinking I made way too much and was sure we would be eating leftovers for lunch the next day. But there was not even a spoonful left in the pot. It sure does take a lot of food to feed 12 people.

1 comment:

jenimur said...

We'll be trying this one too! I have a recipe very similar to this but it calls for cubed potatoes, rice, allspice, and no macaroni. It is one of the sure shot recipies I can predict my family will eat every bite. Add a batch of cornbread on the side! Only crumbs are left after this meal!!